Wednesday, January 28, 2015

"If we gain something, it was there from the beginning..."


"If we gain something, it was there from the beginning. If we lose anything, it is hidden nearby." ~ Ryokan


This quote encourages me to feel the truth of my wholeness. When we appear to be gaining "something", what we are truly gaining is awareness. Intention to be aware of the blessings that are already here could turn my days into a treasure hunt for all the good that I am not noticing.

I find it comforting to ponder that what we feel we have lost is not truly lost but only hidden from our awareness. If I react to a momentary estrangement from my partner, I will not notice the underlying love that informs our relationship. It has not disappeared, but only receded into the background. Focusing on the feeling of loss only ensures that it will continue.

When I savor this quote, I want to be at peace in this moment, trusting in all that appears to be and all that appears not to be. I let go of the struggle to get something, go somewhere or forcefully resist what is appearing. I take a deep breath and know that when I cannot feel the love or see the beauty, it's just hidden from view. That awareness is all I need to feel its Presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment